Application Engineering Studies
EPROSYS equipped with usage of tools like ETAP & EA-PSM Software and experience & domain knowledge in Protection engineering offer the following Application Engineering studies :
- Protective Devices Coordination Study
- Short Circuit Analysis
- Arc Flash Study
- Load Flow Studies
- Harmonic Analysis
- Power Quality Study
Protective Devices Coordination
Need for Protection Coordination:
Electrical system protection and coordination studies are key components to ensure that a facility’s electrical system is operating in a safe and reliable manner.
The reliability of Power system is challenged every time an expansion, reconfiguration, additional load or upgrade takes place.
Short circuit and Coordination Studies help manage these complexities by ensuring that the protective device closest to an overload or short-circuit condition is the one that operates to quickly isolate a failure.
The results of these studies allow for proper selection & settings of protective device such as fuses, circuit breakers, and relays used in the protection scheme. Thus helping facilities maintain a safe, reliable and efficient electrical distribution system.
In a properly coordinated system, a fault results in interruption of only the minimum amount of equipment necessary to isolate the faulted portion of the system.
The power supply to loads in the remainder of the system is maintained.
The goal is to achieve an optimum balance between equipment protection and selective fault isolation that is consistent with the operating requirements of the overall power system.
- Increased facility reliability & Operating Efficiency.
- Minimize system downtime and nuisance device operations & false trips
- Avoid equipment damage or failure through increased system protection
- Isolate faulty circuits without loss of power to other parts of the system
- Identify corrective action for under- protected equipment
- Avoid unnecessary blackouts and brownouts to the electrical power system
- Ensure safety of personnel
SHORT CIRCUIT STUDY & ARC FLASH STUDY:
Short Circuit Studies are a prerequisite to Protection Coordination studies. Short circuit study & Protection Coordination studies are done in tandem.
A short-circuit study is an analysis of an electrical system that determines the magnitude of the currents that flow during an electrical fault.
Comparing these calculated values against the equipment ratings is the first step to ensuring that the power system is safely protected.
Once the expected short-circuit currents are known, a protection coordination study is performed to determine the optimum characteristics, ratings and settings of the power system protective devices.
This is done for various types of faults (three phase, phase-to-phase, double-phase-to-ground, and phase-to-ground) at different locations throughout the system.
The information is used to select fuses, breakers and switchgear ratings in addition to setting protective relays.
Steps in Performing Protection coordination & Short Circuit Studies :
- Data collection — Information on all the components , present settings and ratings of all protective devices. is obtained during a field visit and from electrical utility and manufacturers, and then tabulated.
- Manufacturer’s data — Each protective device has unique response characteristics, documented on manufacturer’s “time-current curves” that are needed for the study
- One-line diagram — A power system diagram that shows how all components are electrically connected is created, or, if one already exists, updated.
- Computer analysis — Using computer software,the system data is input, the short-circuit currents at various points in the system are calculated allowing engineer to determine the optimum settings.
- Tabulate results — The settings and ratings of each protective device are put in a table for comparison with present field settings and ratings
- Final Report — A detailed report including recommendations for corrective action is published
EPROSYS with its domain knowledge in Protection engineering has developed expertise in performing Protection Coordination Studies. using ETAP & newly acquired EA-PSM software from Europe
Eprosys engineers with their hands on experience of Testing, Calibration, repair & coordination and having successfully solved many a problems understand the nitty gritty of the Protection coordination.
We have established our credentials by executing Protection Coordination jobs for important customers like TATA Communication Ltd.for their Data Centers,Trimex , UBL Group, to name a few..
Coordination study can be complex for facilities like DATA Centers, considering the criticality & requirement of reliable supply..
Data centers also present additional challenges to the engineer tasked with performing a power system study.
Many data centers are served by multiple utility sources and generators that can be operated in several different configurations.
All configurations must be considered for the study to completely predict the operation and identify any shortcomings in the power system.
EPROSYS is proud to have successfully executed this doing right first time and are getting repeat orders to do at all their DATA CENTERS in India.
Thus, we can be the best choice to take up your Protection Coordination, job using Software tools like ETAP & EA-PSM from EUROPE.
Arc Flash Analysis
An arc-flash hazard analysis has become a standard part of many system studies. The purpose of the analysis is to determine the available arc-flash incident energy at all of the busses in the power system so that electrical workers are aware of the potential hazard and can make informed choices about personal protective equipment.
The foundations of arc-flash analysis are the IEEE-1584-2002  and NFPA 70E-2009  standards. The calculation methodologies require the results of the short circuit and coordination studies.
The results of these studies must be applied carefully to the arc-flash analysis so that realistic estimates of the available incident energy are made.
Thus considering the steps & data required for Arc flash Analysis are same as for Short Circuit & Protection Coordination Studies.
Eprosys using the ARC Flash module of ETAP & EA-PSM is well equipped to carry out the Arc Flash Analysis
LOAD FLOW STUDIES
A load flow study calculates the currents, voltages, and phase angles for each bus in your system. This information is used to determine proper sizing of current carrying equipment, to identify overloaded devices, and to determine locations where power factor correction may be required. Also, they are very useful in determining system voltages under conditions of suddenly applied or disconnected loads. The results of a load flow study are also starting points for stability studies.
EPROSYS has the expertise & experience to undertake Load Flow Studies along with Protection Coordination & Short Circuit studies.
EPROSYS with Modules in ETAP & EA-PSM software is well suited to provide the services for Load flow Study.
EPROSYS have executed jobs for important customers like TATA COMMUNICATIONS etc and are familiar with the processes,
EPROSYS , thus can be your best choice to provide services in tandem for PROTECTION COORDINATION, SHORT CIRCUIT & LOAD FLOW STUDIES.
HARMONIC STUDIES & POWER QUALITY SERVICES
- Poor power quality in the form of harmonic distortion or low power factor increases stress on a facility’s electrical system.
- Over time, this increased electrical stress will shorten the life expectancy of electrical equipment. In addition to system degradation, poor power quality can cause nuisance tripping and unplanned shutdowns within your electrical system.
- In an increasingly automated electrical world, it is important for a facility to evaluate power quality. Harmonic distortion, low power factor, and the presence of other transients can cause severe damage to electrical system equipment.
- EPROSYS provides system analysis and evaluation of power quality issues and makes recommendations for solutions using Software tools ETAP & EA-PSM.